Hawkeye Wood elves

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hawkeye Wood elves

Post  squalie on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:40 pm

My buddy asked me to paint 30 Wood Elf archers to look like the "Hawkeye" superhero from the comics. I have finished 19 so far and just wrinkle my nose at them. They aren't painted as good as I would like for three reasons: I had 30 to paint, they look like Hawkeye (fag) and I absolutely suck at blending. Blending is something that I would really like to become great at.

Anyways, please make fun of him at the Octocon for me.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hawkeye Wood elves

Post  Kallidon on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:32 am

Nothing wrong with ol' Hawkeye.. West Coast Avengers was one of the best comic series ever.

*braces for flame from Scott*

Let me reword that.. WCA was one of the best comics... from my youth.. Smile Im sure they've done wonders in recent years, although I have been out of touch for a long time. I'll always have a soft spot for Moon Knight and Wonder Man though..

Robyn

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:24 am

Kallidon wrote:Nothing wrong with ol' Hawkeye.. West Coast Avengers was one of the best comic series ever.

*braces for flame from Scott*

Let me reword that.. WCA was one of the best comics... from my youth.. Smile Im sure they've done wonders in recent years, although I have been out of touch for a long time. I'll always have a soft spot for Moon Knight and Wonder Man though..

Robyn

Hey, I love Hawkeye. They killed him and brought him back as a ninja dude (????) for some reason, and Stark was trying to recruit him to pick up the shield and become the new Captain America. I actually enjoyed the work they put into the Hawkeye character, and he never used a "Boxing glove arrow". West Coast Avengers was not a great title and it suffered, as all comics did during those days, of the all-star celebrity guest appearance syndrome. When readership dropped instead of trying to improve story arc's or bringing in some better writers they'd just put Spider-man or make some wolverine references. The only thing worse than some of the West Coast runs were the regular Avengers stories (They're my favorite of all time!). It was a truly painful time to be buying comics.

Incidently Robyn I hear they're killing Marc Spector off... seriously. I couldn't tell you why but it might have something to do with the fact that the only people who admit they're moon knight fans probably haven't bought a comic in a great many years. I would like to check out some of the newer moon knight stuff out though. He was always a decent character who suffered from not getting any decent writers for the longest time.

But nice work on the wood elf. What a weird request for a paint scheme though.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:02 pm

I think I liked Moon Knight because he was a weird character. And back then, I liked alot of the guys who were just fighter types. Daredevil, Punisher, the Cap, Black Panther, and my favorite bad guy of all time, Bullseye. Moon Knight was just kind of odd, and maybe to Batman'ish, but I still liked him.

The first couple WCA annuals along with a couple of those mid Avenger annuals are still some of my favorite comics ever. You know, the ones where they have to fight each other. Mind you, a couple of the fights were mega lame but I still thought they were awesome.

Yeah, I remember very well the Wolverine fury of the mid-90's. I can't remeber the exact count, but there was one time he was in close to 5-6 titles at once doing crossovers, it was nuts. My favorite though were the two punisher war journals he was in, with Jim Lee pencilling... best art at the time and still impressive to this day.

Damn, I have to go home and do some reading. Ive got a disc sitting in my desk here to with all the Civic Revolution comics in it, I should check it out now to get a fix.

Robyn

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:14 pm

Civic Revolution? What is that? Do you mean the Marvel Civil War stuff or is this something else?

You might like what they've doen recently with a lot fo your favorite characters. They moved a lot of them to the Marvel Knights line which has a little edgier story lines and language, and some of them have moved to the Marvel Max lines (No censorship, lots of cussin' and killing. Awesome Nick Fury titles and Punisher stuff). They're still in the Marvel continuity proper but the Knights line is more for those low level power types. Black Panther married Storm. He got kicked out of the Avengers and was leading the Fantastic Four for a little bit. He also married storm.

Punisher took Capès death real hard and sort of dedicated himself to killing Nazis and rascists for a while. This years big event is the Skrull Secret invasion which chews balls. Civil War was better, world war hulk was even better (worst ending ever!). There are something like 6 avengers titles running now, all of them seem to be pretty bad.

The biggest problems the WCA seemed to have was the total lack of a decent recurring bad guy. They just seemed to always be borrowing the frontline Avengers nemesis or one of Iron Mans bad dudes. When in doubt they seemed to just make the Wackos fight Mephisto again. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to beat the devil in the Marvel universe. I swear to god Hawkeye used to shoot him with arrows and Wonder Man would punch him then theyèd be back in LA in time for some goold old fashioned BBQ cooked up by Tigra, who for some reason refused to wear anything other than a bikini. I used to love the inter-squad annual avengers baseball game. What a way to put an exclamtion point on how crappy your team stacks up against the other squad. Youève got Captain Marvel in the outfield who can move at the speed of light, Thor knocking homeruns out of the park, Hercules himself playing backcatcher, and the West coast line up includes Mockingbird (90lbs of powerless chick action. Watch out, she can POLE VAULT) and Hank Pym using a bag full of pre-shrunk gadgets to help calculate how badly their asses are going to lose the game by.

The comic did get interesting when John Walker (The guy who replaced Cap when he quit) was assigned to the West coast roster. Steve Rogers sure can hold a grudge!

And that, true believers, is how you jack a thread!

Till next time, make mine Marvel!

P.S. The fig is nice.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Ive got more questions, but I'll stop for now. Yes Civil War.. Ive got them all here so Ill read em up.

And yes, the fig is looking good.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Comics are gay.......other than Sgt. Rock that is! Hows that for a downer. Anyway, nice paint job on the fig but very strange request for a paint job.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Damn Hawkeye is COOL!

Post  cmemate on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Squalie super job on the archers I can't believe your painting 30 archers for your friend for free!! He must be a super cool guy, and that he likes Hawkeye from his comic days way back ,what a sweet character he was damn tough!! That guy could kick some a## WCA were fantastic:)

Anyways nice job....and thanks:)

cmemate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top